Blog Tips Newsletter by Yaro Starak
Don’t make the mistake that cost this blogger over $2,000 per month in income.
Read the full story below…
This is one of the first questions new bloggers ask –
Which blog system should you use?
These are some of the most popular blogging platforms and while I think they all have their advantages there is one clear winner –
Download WordPress (it’s no-cost), install it on your server, buy a proper domain name and then get blogging.
If you are not sure how to do any of this then make use of the training videos I provide for free from here –
These videos will take you step-by-step through the very basics of setting up your blog with a domain name using the WordPress blogging platform.
Don’t Let This Happen To You
Let me tell you a story about Steve. Steve is a niche blogger. He set up lots of little blogs on all kinds of topics (niches) aiming to make a few dollars from each blog by placing Google AdSense advertisements on them. Google pays you when someone clicks on the ads.
After a few months he did really well and built up his income. None of his blogs had a lot of traffic, but they got enough from search engines that each blog earned between $1 and $10 per day.
In total he earned over $2,000 per month from his blogs – not a bad effort.
One day he turned on his computer and all his blogs had gone. Disappeared. Vanished without a trace…
He was using one Blogger.com account to manage his blogs and Blogger.com determined that what he was doing was violating their terms of service.
They thought all his blogs were what are called “splogs” or SPAM blogs.
Splogs are blogs set up to get traffic to other sites. They are usually automatically generated and the owners have no intention of producing a useful website – they just want to get traffic. They are the SPAM of the blogging world.
Steve contacted the support staff at Blogger.com to explain that his sites were not SPAM sites but it was difficult to convince them and he never got his blogs reactivated. Overnight he lost his regular $2,000 per month income in one hit.
Own Your Blog
If Steve had hosted his blogs on WordPress on his own servers with his own domain names this simply would not have happened. It may cost a bit more upfront to buy the domain names and rent the server space (WordPress itself is free) but the security and control you have makes it worthwhile.
WordPress has many pluses. My particular favorite features include:
- It’s free, very powerful and runs of a mySQL database, so it’s quick.
- It has a very easy installation procedure.
- There are hundreds of free themes you can download and install allowing you to change the look of your blog.
- There are hundreds of plug-ins that provide extra functionality.
All of the above benefits are available because the WordPress system is Open Source Software, which means anyone can look at the code and modify the program. Consequently there are hundreds of programmers working to make WordPress the best blogging system and they do it for free – just for the good of the software.
Get Started Now
Hopefully I’ve convinced you that WordPress is the way to go. Now if you haven’t done so already, here are the three steps you can do right now to get your new WordPress blog installed.
1. Go to http://wordpress.org/download/ and download WordPress.
2. Buy a domain name and hosting package. At the moment I use and recommend HostGator.
There are literally thousands of web hosting providers around, just do a Google search if you want more options.
3. Install your blog. Done!
If installing a blog is beyond you then just use the one click installation option in Dreamhost or HostGator. You can skip step one above if you do this.
This lets you have a WordPress blog installed with one click so you don’t have to do the WordPress uploading process.
Remember, you can go to www.BecomeABlogger.com and watch the videos where we show you exactly how to do all of this using visual tutorials.
Backup Your Blog
Before I end this newsletter I’ll leave you with this one last very important note…
If you are going to stay with Blogger.com or TypePad or even if you use WordPress, there is one thing you should add to your weekly to-do list –
Make sure you have an offline archive of all your content, so for whatever reason, if you lose your blog you can restore all the content. If you own your domains you won’t lose your traffic because you can restore things to exactly how they were.
There’s a great little plug-in that lets you set up automatic WordPress database back-ups, you can download it from here –
Coming Up Next Newsletter
In the next Blog Tips Newsletter I’ll reveal to you a secret advantage that no one else has and if used right, can be the key ingredient for creating a popular blog.
Best of all, you already have this magic ingredient, you just need to learn how to use it.
Here’s to your blogging success,
P.S. The plugin I mentioned above is just one of several I recommend my students install in their WordPress blog during the prelaunch phase when setting up a new blog.
If you want access to all my recommendations and advice for new bloggers to make sure you begin your blogging journey the smart way, consider joining my mentoring course. Here’s the link for more details –
- How To Choose The Right Blog Topic
- How To Get More Blog Comments
- How To Build A Popular Blog
- Don’t Make This Mistake With Your Blog
- The Secret Of My Blog’s Success – The Pillar Article
- Is Blogging About Your Mistakes A Good Idea?
- Do You Have To Blog Full Time To Succeed?
- How One Technique Increased My Traffic By 25%
- What Is A Trackback And How Can It Increase Your Blog Traffic?
- How To Interlink Your Blog Articles To Increase Traffic
- How To Laser Target Your Blog Traffic
- How To Attract More RSS Subscribers
- Start Relationships For Win-Win Blogging
- Are You Trying To Run Before You Can Walk?
- Make Money From Your Blog Selling Text Links
- WordPress Bloggers – Install This Plugin To Boost Your Traffic
- The Power Of Credibility
- How To Deal With Negative Comments On Your Blog
- How To Leverage Online Forums For Blog Traffic
- What Is The Most Powerful Blog Traffic Technique?
- How Important Is SEO For Your Blog?
- The Death Of Link Exchanges
- Where To Find Photos To Use In Your Blog
- What Do You Want To Achieve From Blogging?
- Do You Blog Strategically?
- Don’t Forget The Newbies
- Competing For Attention In An Attention Deficit Blogosphere
- How To Be An Exceptional Blogger
- How To Create A Community At Your Blog
- Does Your Blog Have A Hook?
- Why Being Perfect Can Hurt Your Blog
- How One Blogging Technique Attracted 6000 New Subscribers
- Track Your Long Tail Trends For Traffic
- Track Your Blog Traffic Using Alexa
- Does Your Blog Design Matter?
- Why You Must Be A Thought Leader
- Establish Preeminence With A Pillar Article Series
- Is It Time For A Kick In The Pants?
- Why Do RSS Readers Unsubscribe From Blogs?
- Have You Considered Selling Ads Directly From Your Blog?
- Sell Direct Advertising On Your Blog Using This System
- How To Attract Blog Sponsors
- How To Kick-Start The Launch Of A New Blog
- Try This Tip To Attract Offline Traffic To Your Blog
- Apply This HTML Code Tip For Better Blog Headings
- The Most Powerful Blog Traffic Technique
- Can You Make Your Blog Readers Feel Like This…
- The Secret To Successful Blogging
- Why Bloggers Don’t Make Money From Affiliate Programs
- How Does Getting Paid $500 An Hour Sound To You?
The following lessons are from my original “blog traffic king” email newsletter, my first ever email course with one lesson per week delivered for a year. There are some real gems in these articles too, so don’t skip them!