Blog Tips Newsletter by Yaro Starak
Why is it some blogs have a ton of comments while other blogs never receive any?
In this newsletter we talk about how you can convince people to leave comment replies to your blog posts.
I hope your blog is coming along well.
The focus of this newsletter is something all bloggers love – comments. Unfortunately most blogs, especially new blogs, receive very few real comments from real people (everyone gets spam comments though).
I hope, with help from the tips in this newsletter, your blog will grow a nice community of readers who interact by leaving you comments.
First though I want to quickly clear something up and give you a little background info about me – the guy writing these newsletters.
Am I Trying To Sell You Something?
I knew you would ask that question.
Let me be completely straight up front with you. Yes, I am trying to sell you something but as you will see, these newsletters do not focus on constantly pushing product after product in your face.
I want you to enjoy this newsletter based on merit because you genuinely benefit from the content. But you don’t have to take my word for it, judge for yourself as you receive each newsletter.
I won’t attempt to convince you now and waste space in this newsletter – no one wants to read a newsletter talking about how good a newsletter it is.
All I ask is that you remain subscribed for a good five to ten editions and if you don’t learn or benefit in some way, then please, unsubscribe.
How I Make My Living
I’m a blog trainer. That means I teach people how to blog and in particular how to market your blog to build traffic, how to make money from your blog and eventually, once you become advanced, how to build an entire business based on your blog.
Some of my information is free – like this newsletter, my report ‘The Blog Profits Blueprint’ (have you read it yet?) and the introductory free training videos on how to set-up your blog at http://www.becomeablogger.com.
Occasionally I will invite you to join my coaching programs, offer you information and training products that I believe offer quality information and recommend services that compliment blogging.
All these offers are completely optional. The reason I bring it up now is that I want you to understand why I spend so many hours producing this newsletter and writing my own blog, and how I can earn a living from doing so.
Be sure to study how I use this newsletter to recommend products and other offers. You can learn a lot simply by observing my techniques and then apply them to sell from your own blog or email newsletter.
So Who Exactly Am I?
My name is Yaro Starak, I live in Brisbane, Australia.
I presently blog about Internet marketing, blogging, entrepreneurship and self development at http://www.entrepreneurs-journey.com.
I’ve been blogging since late 2004 and make over $10,000 a month from my blog and over $20,000 a month from my online business in total – which by the way, is based entirely on my blog.
I’ve run several businesses, some failures and some successes and I’ve bought and sold websites too.
I enjoy tennis, yoga, swimming and…well, this is not a personals ad, so I’ll leave it at that.
If you want the long story (with pictures!) you can read my five-page bio at –
That’s enough about me, let’s talk about your blog.
How To Convince People To Leave More Comments
Let me set something straight right now.
If your blog has no traffic you will not receive any comments.
It makes sense of course, but some people don’t see the connection between these two elements.
If no one is reading your blog then no one will leave comments either. Simply posting great articles to your blog is not enough – you have to *market* your blog to bring people to it.
We will talk A LOT about marketing throughout my newsletter, so stay tuned for that.
For now, understand if you don’t receive any comments to your blog it’s probably not that your content is bad or people don’t like you, it’s because you simply don’t have enough traffic.
If on the other hand you do have some traffic, yet no one replies to your posts, there are ways to stimulate comments.
Try these tips to begin with –
- Write articles that reference or focus on other bloggers. You will get their attention that way and there’s a good chance they will come to your blog and leave a comment as a result.
- Ask your readers a question at the end of your article.
- Write about topics that stimulate conversation, such as current events (think politics, news, entertainment).
- Be controversial with your writing. Have a strong opinion and others with strong opinions will reply to argue or agree with you.
- Be patient. Sometimes you just have to wait until the first person leaves a comment which opens the floodgates.
Keep The Conversation Going
A while ago I stopped actively responding to comments on my blog unless I was asked a direct question. I really had no excuse for not doing it, I was just lazy and working on other writing projects. Consequently the average number of comments on my blog entries dropped A LOT.
I noticed the regular commentators stopped commenting as frequently and most conversations on my blog ended very quickly.
This is really tragic for a blog and I’ll tell you why – it reduces your “Social Proof”.
What Is Social Proof
Social Proof is when humans take action or make a decision based on seeing other humans doing it first. It’s sort of like an implied recommendation – if other people do it, it must be good.
It’s like when you see a bunch of people all looking up at something in the sky at the same time. You can’t help but turn your head skywards and see what all the fuss is about.
When first time visitors to your blog see other people making lots of comments they are more likely to decide there is something valuable at your blog and bookmark or subscribe to it and may even make a comment.
This is good for blog traffic. This is social proof in action.
I was very conscious of always taking part in comment conversations at my blog and consequently my readership was growing in leaps and bounds. I stopped and I noticed I hit a wall and my blog didn’t grow quite as well as it was.
I know a blogger who has a rule – she responds to every single comment made to her blog.
Consequently she has developed a fantastic community around her blog and her traffic has skyrocketed in a short period of time.
Remember, comments on your blog are very important, take the time to respond to them.
Here’s to your blogging success,
- How To Choose The Right Blog Topic
- How To Get More Blog Comments
- How To Build A Popular Blog
- Don’t Make This Mistake With Your Blog
- The Secret Of My Blog’s Success – The Pillar Article
- Is Blogging About Your Mistakes A Good Idea?
- Do You Have To Blog Full Time To Succeed?
- How One Technique Increased My Traffic By 25%
- What Is A Trackback And How Can It Increase Your Blog Traffic?
- How To Interlink Your Blog Articles To Increase Traffic
- How To Laser Target Your Blog Traffic
- How To Attract More RSS Subscribers
- Start Relationships For Win-Win Blogging
- Are You Trying To Run Before You Can Walk?
- Make Money From Your Blog Selling Text Links
- WordPress Bloggers – Install This Plugin To Boost Your Traffic
- The Power Of Credibility
- How To Deal With Negative Comments On Your Blog
- How To Leverage Online Forums For Blog Traffic
- What Is The Most Powerful Blog Traffic Technique?
- How Important Is SEO For Your Blog?
- The Death Of Link Exchanges
- Where To Find Photos To Use In Your Blog
- What Do You Want To Achieve From Blogging?
- Do You Blog Strategically?
- Don’t Forget The Newbies
- Competing For Attention In An Attention Deficit Blogosphere
- How To Be An Exceptional Blogger
- How To Create A Community At Your Blog
- Does Your Blog Have A Hook?
- Why Being Perfect Can Hurt Your Blog
- How One Blogging Technique Attracted 6000 New Subscribers
- Track Your Long Tail Trends For Traffic
- Track Your Blog Traffic Using Alexa
- Does Your Blog Design Matter?
- Why You Must Be A Thought Leader
- Establish Preeminence With A Pillar Article Series
- Is It Time For A Kick In The Pants?
- Why Do RSS Readers Unsubscribe From Blogs?
- Have You Considered Selling Ads Directly From Your Blog?
- Sell Direct Advertising On Your Blog Using This System
- How To Attract Blog Sponsors
- How To Kick-Start The Launch Of A New Blog
- Try This Tip To Attract Offline Traffic To Your Blog
- Apply This HTML Code Tip For Better Blog Headings
- The Most Powerful Blog Traffic Technique
- Can You Make Your Blog Readers Feel Like This…
- The Secret To Successful Blogging
- Why Bloggers Don’t Make Money From Affiliate Programs
- How Does Getting Paid $500 An Hour Sound To You?
The following lessons are from my original “blog traffic king” email newsletter, my first ever email course with one lesson per week delivered for a year. There are some real gems in these articles too, so don’t skip them!