Blog Traffic Tips Newsletter
by Yaro Starak
Do you consider yourself an expert in the topic you blog about?
Not every successful blog is based on the expertise of the author, but for most of the top blogs written by individuals, the key to their success rests solely on their ability to demonstrate *preeminence*.
Preeminence is the perception that a person is the best or one of the best authoritative sources on a specific topic. You don’t necessarily have to be the best, but people need to perceive you as the best.
It certainly helps if you really are very good at what you do – it makes it a lot easier to convince people of your expertise – but don’t feel bad if you aren’t 100% confident in your own abilities. Remember you know a lot more about your topic than your readers do, hence in their eyes they will view you as an expert, provided your content teaches them new valuable things.
Based on my newsletters you can infer what subject area I aim to establish myself as an expert in.
Yes, blogging, in particular blog traffic and strategy. Do you feel that way about me? Has what I have taught you through my newsletters and blogs built a perception in your mind of what I am good at?
HOW TO ESTABLISH PREEMINENCE
To create the perception of preeminence you need to do two things –
- Constantly educate yourself about what is going on in your chosen niche.
- Write about what you learn through education and experience to your blog.
The first step should be something you already do if you are genuinely interested in what you blog about. Daily I read other blogs, websites, books and study courses on topics related to what I blog about.
I have a very high level of awareness on a whole range of topics in my industry. I am certainly not an expert on all aspects of the area I blog about, but if someone asks me a question about something related to blogging or Internet business, at the very least I will know what they are talking about and respond with an educated answer or opinion.
If I’m asked something that I know a lot about from experience, then I can provide an authoritative response in confidence.
That’s another key to establishing preeminence – you have to present your knowledge in confidence.
If you are not confident about what you write about or you present it in a non-authoritative way, you won’t inspire confidence in others.
If you don’t feel it, fake it. With experience you will feel it too.
PREEMINENCE AS A BLOG TRAFFIC TOOL
Preeminence is powerful because the topic authority you demonstrate convinces people your blog is worth reading long term.
- Your audience will come back to hear what you offer as an expert in your field.
- It will increase your blog’s social proof.
- Your RSS subscription rate will increase, as will your RSS retention rate.
- You won’t lose subscribers if one or two of your posts don’t interest them. Readers are prepared to stick around because they know based on your previous content demonstrating your preeminence, that you are bound to deliver more of the goods, and they don’t want to risk missing out.
- Preeminence opens networking doors. People will ask for your opinion or contributions to other popular blogs or sites.
- You may be offered writing gigs in magazines or contacted for interviews in the offline press.
All these factors combine to generate a lot of traffic to your blog.
If currently you are having difficulty increasing your traffic or growing your RSS subscription there’s a very good chance you are just not writing authoritatively on your topic.
Without authority and confidence it’s impossible to establish preeminence.
HOW CAN YOU BECOME AN EXPERT?
If you think you lack credibility and you are far from establishing any preeminence in your topic area, you need to take action to increase your expertise.
Most bloggers are not experts and there is a very good reason why – they don’t have the education and life experience to create the knowledge necessary for expertise.
As a result, many bloggers end up becoming news reporters. They report news on their blog and regurgitate the content from news sites and other blogs – the credible and expert sources.
In this situation the news blogger rarely builds much traffic and of course the preeminent sources of content receive more traffic as all the small news blogs link to them.
If you really want to create a truly successful blog it has to become considered a top source of quality knowledge, and if you don’t personally possess the means to provide this, you either need to get educated or bring on board writers who can provide the knowledge.
I suggest you focus on educating yourself since this helps you in many more ways than just your blog traffic.
Begin by studying. Stay current about developments in your industry and read the blogs and listen to podcasts from the established experts. Take courses, buy information products or books and learn the fundamentals in the industry you write about.
If all this feels like a chore to you then you clearly are not interested in the topic you blog about. If this is true then you need to find another topic or angle you care enough about to invest energy into because you want to, it is fun. Passion is the root source of preeminence. If you feel the passion then I have full confidence in your ability to study enough to become an expert.
Once you convince your readers of your passion, preeminence is a natural conclusion for your readers to make and this will lead to increased blog traffic and a greater connection with your readers.
Here’s to your blogging success,
- How To Choose The Right Blog Topic
- How To Get More Blog Comments
- How To Build A Popular Blog
- Don’t Make This Mistake With Your Blog
- The Secret Of My Blog’s Success – The Pillar Article
- Is Blogging About Your Mistakes A Good Idea?
- Do You Have To Blog Full Time To Succeed?
- How One Technique Increased My Traffic By 25%
- What Is A Trackback And How Can It Increase Your Blog Traffic?
- How To Interlink Your Blog Articles To Increase Traffic
- How To Laser Target Your Blog Traffic
- How To Attract More RSS Subscribers
- Start Relationships For Win-Win Blogging
- Are You Trying To Run Before You Can Walk?
- Make Money From Your Blog Selling Text Links
- WordPress Bloggers – Install This Plugin To Boost Your Traffic
- The Power Of Credibility
- How To Deal With Negative Comments On Your Blog
- How To Leverage Online Forums For Blog Traffic
- What Is The Most Powerful Blog Traffic Technique?
- How Important Is SEO For Your Blog?
- The Death Of Link Exchanges
- Where To Find Photos To Use In Your Blog
- What Do You Want To Achieve From Blogging?
- Do You Blog Strategically?
- Don’t Forget The Newbies
- Competing For Attention In An Attention Deficit Blogosphere
- How To Be An Exceptional Blogger
- How To Create A Community At Your Blog
- Does Your Blog Have A Hook?
- Why Being Perfect Can Hurt Your Blog
- How One Blogging Technique Attracted 6000 New Subscribers
- Track Your Long Tail Trends For Traffic
- Track Your Blog Traffic Using Alexa
- Does Your Blog Design Matter?
- Why You Must Be A Thought Leader
- Establish Preeminence With A Pillar Article Series
- Is It Time For A Kick In The Pants?
- Why Do RSS Readers Unsubscribe From Blogs?
- Have You Considered Selling Ads Directly From Your Blog?
- Sell Direct Advertising On Your Blog Using This System
- How To Attract Blog Sponsors
- How To Kick-Start The Launch Of A New Blog
- Try This Tip To Attract Offline Traffic To Your Blog
- Apply This HTML Code Tip For Better Blog Headings
- The Most Powerful Blog Traffic Technique
- Can You Make Your Blog Readers Feel Like This…
- The Secret To Successful Blogging
- Why Bloggers Don’t Make Money From Affiliate Programs
- How Does Getting Paid $500 An Hour Sound To You?
The following lessons are from my original “blog traffic king” email newsletter, my first ever email course with one lesson per week delivered for a year. There are some real gems in these articles too, so don’t skip them!